Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Defense Grid the Board Game

As down as I currently am on recommending any sort of video game related Kickstarter, I do have to mention the title that disappointed me the least over the last five years, which was the Defense Grid 2 campaign.  As a project, it shipped the content that was funded just a mere month late and then went off to finish the unfunded content and sent it out to all backers as well.

Hell of a deal.

The only tiny disappointment was that Defense Grid 2 just wasn’t quite as much fun as the original Defense Grid.  The problem with sequels and all that.  Still, Hidden Path Entertainment did put out a pair of excellent tower defense games as well as doing the Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings HD update that brought that classic forward into the Steam era. (Oh, and they were involved with a little game called Counter Strike: Global Offensive.)

So I was interested to see that somebody is turning Defense Grid into a board game.  Not Hidden Path, but Hidden Path has clearly signed off on and fully endorsed the project.  And so we have a Kickstarter campaign for Defense Grid: The Board Game!

Tower Defense on your table top

Tower Defense on your table top

If you want to see what a tower defense game might look like in board game form, you can give this a look.

The campaign has already funded at this point, so they are working on stretch goals.  And physical games seem to have a better history with Kickstarter than video games.  Coding is always more complicated than you think it is going to be.

Not my thing… I don’t have anybody to play board games with any more, and even if I did I came to computer games so that the machine would do the accounting for me… but I am interested to see how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment